Sunday, November 15, 2009

Amy Rich

*
Tall gallows with Puritan preachers presiding in New England
Hanging my pale Ancestor for talking to birds
Admitting to myself that the DNA test only verified what I sensed
Native blood in me could have been from the tribe
Killed the year after feeding Pilgrims
(Small-pox infested blankets came later)
Gouging out eyes of white women called Witches
Invoking the name of the Lord to justify it
Victorious Christians vanquishing Natives and Pagans
Incorrect stories and assumptions abound
No Pagans killing Natives, I bet, though they were white
Grateful to know the truth enough to honor all shades of my Ancestors
*

3 comments:

  1. This is a stunning take on this holiday. I especiall love how she ties it all together in the last line.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am appreciative of truth...and it makes me ponder how we can re-engage with the holiday differently...with true honoring.

    Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so sad, as it shows the background of a holiday that is so joyful. Maybe it should be celebrated as a day of forgiveness or atonement, something like Yom Kippur, the Jewish day of Atonement.

    ReplyDelete